Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jantzen Swimsuit

OK, I need you to help me solve something:
Jantzen Vamp, Buttercup
I heart this suit, but my husband thinks it is just awful.  I am wondering if this is an example of one of those fads women just love but men despise...like emaciated models or dropped-waist flapper dresses.  What is your opinion?

Trivia:
Jantzen is a Portland based company that is celebrating its centennial this year.  Talk about sticking with what works.
Madmen featured the Jantzen company in the season premier this past month. 


6 comments:

Kate said...

Your husband is crazy. I mean, c'mon, thousands of men drooled over this: http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2008/08/grable.jpg and this: http://gianruggeromanzoni.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/marilyn-monroe-swimsuit1.jpg

Meghan McNally said...

Right? But were they just thrilled at the increasingly revealing nature of bathing suits? Or is it just because it's Betty and Marilyn? I wish there was some way in my poll to identify the voter's gender...

P.S. This blog is called Found in Mom's Basement: http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/2010/07/vintage-ads-jantzen-swimsuits.html

Kate said...

Considering that 50s style pinup collections can be found for sale all over the internets, I'm betting plenty of men still find them alluring.

Brigid said...

This is one of the most flattering swimsuits I have ever seen. It compliments a woman's body well (because a woman's body has curves! and isnt a surfboard!), and it's modest, looks comfortable, and it's beautiful! One-pieces can be sexy! And this is proof of it! - Brigid

Unknown said...

It doesn't look too flattering on, unless you're incredibly model-like. I purchased the same cut from Jantzen in polka dot last summer online, and I was horribly disappointed with how boxy and thick it was. It was shipped back, and my vintage swimsuit-loving heart was broken.

Meghan McNally said...

Thanks for the tip, Lillie. I was curious about that particular point since horizontal ruching seems a risky business. *Sigh* there just is no such thing as a universally flattering style.